Monday, August 13, 2012
Utah Book Month~ Mini Challenge!
How many of you know what an "elevator pitch" is? I didn't for a long time. Basically, you have thirty seconds, or the length of an elevator ride, to convince an agent they want your book.
Now I have one! Want to hear, uh, read it?
"Angelica remembers nothing about the deaths of nine of her friends, even though she was there for each of them."
What do you think?
We have sooooo many amazing Utah authors! And soooo many excellent books. I wonder what their elevator pitch was??
Let's try a few (these are the first lines on goodreads):
"When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name."
Anyone care to guess? You in the rainbow shirt. Yes, you. MAZE RUNNER. You are correct!
"Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe, until she falls in love with the wrong boy."
This one is a little harder. CROSSED by Ally Condie. Wow! You guys are good.
Okay! Since you're so smart, I'm going to test you with seven (7) pitches from Utah author books. After you answer in the comments section, go to Utah Book Month Grand Giveaway and get 5 (five) entries for completing my challenge!
1. "In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage." (Hint: here's the review link)
2. "The clock is ticking on the entire paranormal world. And its fate rests solely in Evie's hands." (Hint: the third book in a paranormal trilogy)
3. "Benson Fisher thought that a scholarship to Maxfield Academy would be the ticket out of his dead-end life. He was wrong." (Hint: this author's brother wrote a horror trilogy)
4. "When Crispin, Lord Cavratt, thoroughly and scandalously kisses a serving woman in the garden of a country inn, he assumes the encounter will be of no consequence. But he couldn't be more mistaken" (Hint: a short and cute author)
5. "Jane Hayes is a seemingly normal young New Yorker, but she has a secret. Her obsession with Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, is ruining her love life." (Hint: this book is being made into a movie)
6. "Galen is a young soldier returning from war; Rose is one of twelve princesses condemned to dance each night for the King Under Stone. Together Galen and Rose will search for a way to break the curse that forces the princesses to dance..."(Hint: love this author's fairytale retelling)
7.. " Getting drunk homecoming night your senior year is never a good idea, but Jake Hayes never expected it all to end with a car crash and a t-post embedded in his throat." (hint: put this one on my reading list for August)
How did you do? Don't forget to head over to Utah Book Month Grand Giveaway and enter to win!