Dan Wells-How to Scare People
How to scare people through your writing:
- Establish normal-Establish a normal day, routine, life and break it.
- Take familiar and make unfamiliar-Make appliances come to life on their own.
- Waiting for the other shoe to drop-Show the audience the bomb under the table. Then have a normal conversation for several minutes, making the audience wait for it to explode. That's suspense.
- Push fear buttons-Know what people are afraid of then throw them in the middle of it.
- Show the monster-What did you think of the monster in Silence of the Lamb when you first saw him? He looked normal...