Readers want an emotional pay off.
You are promising your readers an emotional experience. Don't cheat them with unearned emotions like starting a book with a dream.
Use emotion when you are showing motivation and catalyst.
Get reader emotionally invested:
- Make emotions credible.
- Evoke some sort of emotional response.
- Emotions can be present anywhere in plot.
- Introducing and maintaining a characters motivation.
- Creating a catalyst for a story's turning point.
- Showing characters growth.