League of Utah Writers Conference
I'm going to post my notes, the ones I wrote in my little composition book, from the League of Utah Writers, henceforth called, LUW.
I went Friday and Saturday; heard good advice; remembered why I like writing; meet awesome people; renewed friendships; ate horseradish sauce and other good food. I believe it was worth my time and money.
I hope to post my notes every Monday so check back and see if you learn anything :)
LuAnn Staheli-Know your Genre
What is genre? It is literary technique, tone, content, length etc.
Fiction is the hardest genre to break into.
- Realism-Plausible story about people and events that could really happen. Romance, thriller, historical, sports all fit under realism.
- Fantasy-Fantastical elements in traditional or modern fantasy.
- Traditional fantasy follows the quest.
- Modern fantasy has elements of magic in the human world. Horror and sci-fi are sub genres of modern fantasy.
- Biography-needs more factual support.
- Autobiography-Bigger piece of time
- Memoirs-Small part of life
- General non-fiction (Dewey decimal)-Different stories from life in one book
Speciality books are manga (graphic novels), cookbooks etc
What are the target audiences?
Picture book: 1-3 pages
Chapter book: Max 100 pages
Middle grade: 100-200 pages
Young Adult: 150-300 pages
Adult: 150-several hundred pages, 70,000-90,000 words max