One thing I learned was that historical fiction has a built-in fan base. If you think about it, it's true! There are hundreds of history buffs in the world.
Characters~ Know them!
- How has society shaped them? Did women vote? Or work?
- If there is a sword on the wall, how would your characters react to it? A boy wanting to go to war might know what kind of sword it is, how it's made, who used it last. A widow might remember something from the past.
World building~ Know it!
- Food, clothing, architecture, religions, etc.
Setting~ Write it!
- Balance your facts in your plot. Use dialogue etc to set your time and setting
- Don't manipulate dates.
- Don't give credit to fictional characters of what a real person did.
- If you see the facts three times, it's more than likely correct.
- Pay attention to when your source was published or created.
- Also, pay attention to who created your source. Are they biased? Where did they get their info?